If you look at the very top professional players, you will quickly realize that tennis is very much a game of movement, thinking, and anticipation. There is an excellent drill/game that we use for many of our students, especially our junior players. The game is called mini-tennis. You play inside the service boxes and doubles alleys as well if you have 4 players.
You must serve the ball in underhand and to the correct box just as you would in a regular game and play a regular set. You can play this game in a variety of ways, I like to include volleying in this game so that you get practice at angle volleys, and the opponent gets practice at touch passing shots.
This game will force you to learn how to move efficiently, while learning how to construct points and how to move your opponent around the court. This will also allow you to develop some feel and touch over the racquet and the ball, which is missing in so much of the club level game.
This is also a way to have much longer points than in the regular game and an excellent way to start and finish your practice session to make it more fun.
I guarantee as your mini-tennis game improves, so will your regular game.
Nate Griffin, Director of Tennis
River Strand Golf and Country Club
RULES AND POLICIES
- 7 day advance reservations accepted
- Please make court cancellations no later than 24 hours previous to play
- Reservations are accepted in 1 and a ½ hour time slots
- Players must check in with Pro Shop before play
Proper tennis attire, as determined by Club Management, is required at all times. All clothes that are tennis specific are acceptable. Undershirts, cut-offs, Bermudas, jams, mid-drifts, bathing suits, jeans, , running shorts, and cargo shorts will not be considered proper tennis attire and are not permitted. Smooth soled shoes are required.
- $100 per year/unlimited usage - Individual
- $150 per year/unlimited usage - Family
$5 per day per guest.
- Please refrain from loud conversations that interfere with a match in progress next to your court.
- Please refrain from walking through another court unless granted permission to do so.
- Please refrain from the use of offensive or obscene language.